Tips for Sticking to Your New Year’s Resolution
As we head into the new year, we are usually faced with the question, “What is your New Year’s Resolution going to be this year?” We roll into every January with lofty expectations and goals that are likely unattainable, causing us to quit on our resolutions by February.
There is nothing wrong with setting goals and trying to better yourself, but whether it’s to lose weight, eat healthier or get organized, we have all likely gone about New Year’s resolutions in the wrong manner.
With 2023 upon us, here are a few tips to get the most out of your New Year’s resolutions and to see better results.
- Start Small – If your goal is to lose 50 pounds by 2024, you should commit to a healthier and more physically active lifestyle today than you had yesterday. Set a goal of taking a walk around the block and gradually build on it each day. The goal is to create a new habit so that it becomes routine.
- Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself – We’re all going to experience setbacks when we try to change daily habits, so don’t spend too much dwelling on the negatives. Beating yourself up will not help you move on and succeed. Move on to the next day and get back to your routine.
- Consistency is Key – The Huffington Post says a new habit can take up to 60 consecutive days to become routine. Missing a day or two is always going to happen, but if it drags on it can become easier to quit than to build yourself back up.
- Celebrate Accomplishments – Whether they are big or small, you should always celebrate your victories when establishing a new habit. Give yourself a high-five or reward yourself with a new pair of walking shoes. Make sure that the reward isn’t counterintuitive though, like a brownie or twinkie.
- Remember Your Why – As with any goal, you should always be thinking about the reason why you are working towards this achievement. Are you losing weight to fit back into your favorite dress? Do you want to have better health to have more energy to spend with your kids? Your “why” can help drive you throughout the process.
- Every Day is Different – Don’t go into this year with a yearly goal. Look at this more as a daily process, and each day can bring its ups and downs. Your goals will be much more attainable if you set them as daily accomplishments instead of something you have 365 days to do.
We hope these tips help you accomplish your goals, and best of luck in all your endeavors this new year!
Understanding the Importance of ImmunizationsDecember 2023 | Letter from Administrator
All adults should understand the importance of immunizations to protect their health. Even healthy adults can become seriously ill and…
Help Seniors Avoid the Holiday BluesDecember 2023 | Article
During this holiday season, it’s a good time to reflect on what you’re thankful for, and chances are, family and…
How to Stay Healthy During The HolidaysDecember 2023 | From our Desks
Whenever the family gets together for The Holidays, our first thoughts are about how many of grandma’s cookies can we…